ABOUT JORDAN PETERSON
Jordan Peterson is a Clinical Psychologist, Scholar, and Author of the books 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos and Maps of Meaning.
He gained attention in 2016 for his outspoken views on cultural and political issues. Through his speeches and video lectures on YouTube, he garnered an audience who believe in the idea of individual responsibility above freedom, and free will.
Jordan was the guest on Jocko Podcast 98 where they discussed individual responsibility, discipline, and breaking the loop.
Here are our takeaways from the wide-ranging conversation.
- “A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very very dangerous man who has it under voluntary control.” – Jordan Peterson
- “You don’t make men safe by making them weak. You make men safe by making them strong, and disciplined.” – Jordan Peterson
- “Who you can be is more important than who you are.” – Jordan Peterson
- Take responsibility for your individual actions. It is well documented that you can end up in hell one step at a time or end up in a different place one step at a time.
- You have to understand that you are capable of evil things. If you don’t realize that then you are dangerously naive and are dangerous to yourself and others around you.
- You have to be self-disciplined to control your dark side and integrate it with your character by when it helps you become an ideal individual and a productive member of the society
- You cannot be default aggressive all the time. There is a dichotomy that exists where you will have to be aggressive when you have to be aggressive while at the same time you’ll have to do the trivial tasks that are not beautiful to be on the good side of the chain of command above you, humility to listen to the people around you, and detachment to keep your emotions in check.
- If you are going towards a grand goal or attempting to do something big you’re not sure of, don’t take the big bite out of it. Break the process into consumable pieces and take one step at a time to reach your goals.
- You want to watch when someone has made an effort and has gone beyond the call of duty and then you have to reward them. Because scarcity really matters for rewards to work.
- Be aware of people who say that you are already perfect. No, you are not. If you are perfect already, why then do you have to burden yourself with the responsibilities of life?
- There are worlds out there to conquer. So get your act together and move forward.
- Often, having an example instead of being told is more effective
- Jocko Willink talked about the time when he followed his daughter cleaning her room with a Jordan Peterson clip telling people to clean their room (3:26:54)
- Jocko Willink asked Jordan Peterson about deadlifting weights and talked about the minimum 8000-pound deadlift tea a.k.a Jocko White Tea available on Amazon (3:33:12)