ABOUT ANDREAS ANTONOPOULOS
Andreas M. Antonopoulos (@aantonop) is a Greek-British bitcoin advocate, entrepreneur, and author. He read the whitepaper on Bitcoin in 2012 and was fascinated by the technology and started to learn more about it. Today, he travels around the world talking about Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology at various seminars and conferences. Andreas is also a host of Let’s Talk Bitcoin! podcast that started in 2013.
Andreas Antonopoulos was the guest for a third time on the London Real show with Brian Rose where he discussed the future of bitcoin and the industries that would be revolutionized by bitcoin and blockchain.
Here are our takeaways from the conversation.
- There is an enormous amount of privilege that comes with birthplace
- Andreas lives a nomadic life where he travels from country to country speaking at seminars and conferences
- People speculate on the price of bitcoin but Andreas is interested in the technology that can create positive change in the world
- There have been 8 boom and bust cycles of bitcoin and people were only hurt during the 2017 bitcoin craze
- According to Andreas, the blockchain technology grows tremendously during the cold times after a bust
- Over 99% of the ICO (Initial Coin Offering) projects in 2017 were pump and dump scams
- You can remove your country from crypto, but you cannot remove crypto from your country
- Blockchain guarantees a true peer-to-peer network while traditional payment systems inject uninvited corporations into the transaction
- China uses a Social Credit System to monitor its citizens and give them scores. This leaves people at the mercy of governments. Bitcoin and Blockchain promise a truly anonymous future without giving governments complete control over its citizens.
- Separation of money and state will be seen as an obvious idea of our second enlightenment
- Money is a form of free speech
- Blockchain technology provides a road map for a future where Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAO) can create companies without human supervision and run businesses without owner or shareholders
- The generational change creates disruptions that drive us forward
- Nothing happens for a reason
ANDREAS ANTONOPOULOS QUOTES
- “There’s an enormous amount of privilege that comes with birthplace, just a random fact of life that none of us have any control over.”
- “Power corrupts, money corrupts.”
- “You can remove your country from crypto, but you can’t remove crypto from your country.”
- “I’d like to call traditional payment systems, peer-to-corporation-to-corporation-to-corporation-to-peer where you didn’t invite any of those three corporations into your transaction. They just injected themselves.”
- “Terrorism is the imposition of violence in order to achieve political means.”
- “Peace is not the absence of violence or war, it is the presence of justice.”
- “True neutrality means anyone or anything to anyone or anything.”
- “Nothing happens for a reason.”
- Andreas read the Bitcoin whitepaper in 2012 and was fascinated by the technology and started to learn more about it
- People are attracted to Bitcoin due to its monetary value speculation without understanding the underlying technology
- Bitcoin has gone through 8 boom and bust cycles and the biggest one was in 2017
- It is important to research and understand about Bitcoin and Blockchain before investing in any coins or Cryptocurrency companies
- Bitcoin and Blockchain technology is not a get rich quick scheme but a force for positive change
DIVERSIFICATION & DANGERS OF A CASHLESS SOCIETY
- Andreas believes that people should not keep all eggs in one basket and should diversify them
- As governments are trying to weed out cash from the economy, cryptocurrency provides an alternative to the government not having control over your money and life
- China has a Social Credit System to monitor its citizens and to exert power over their life by cutting them off from the economy if their credit scores are poor. Cryptocurrency with its peer-to-peer transfer technology and anonymous powers can come to the aid of an individual.
- A cashless society with big corporations acting as intermediaries for transfer will slowly destroy democracy and make people powerless
- In a cashless economy, if we let the government policies be decided by a few sociopaths, it can lead to a future where a single policy can cut of millions of people from the economy and make them non-people.
THE PILLARS OF BLOCKCHAIN
- Censorship Resistant
ANDREAS ANTONOPOULOS’ MISSION
Educate as many as possible in as many languages as possible about the future impact of open blockchain technology.
SUPERPOWERS OF ANDREAS ANTONOPOULOS
- Ability to explain difficult concepts in simple ways
- Strong photographic/eidetic memory
WHAT SCARES ANDREAS ANTONOPOULOS
- Scared about own failure
- Scared about disappointing the people he cares about
- Scared of the uncertainty and lack of control
- Scared of losing his way and focus on the goal
BOOKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
- Mastering Bitcoin: Programming the Open Blockchain
- Mastering Ethereum: Building Smart Contracts and DApps
- The Internet of Money: Talks by Andreas M. Antonopoulos
- The Internet of Money Volume Two: A Collection of Talks
- The Internet of Money Volume Three: A Collection of Talks by Andreas M. Antonopoulos