ABOUT JEFF CAVALIERE
Jeff Cavaliere (@athleanx) is the founder of ATHLEAN-X, a Sports Training Company with the focus on helping people train like an athlete to make them look like an athlete.
The ATHLEAN-X YouTube Channel is one of the top fitness channels on YouTube with over 10 million subscribers and 1.5 billion views.
Jeff is a Physical Therapist with a Bachelor of Science in Physioneurobiology / Premedicine and a Masters Degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Connecticut. He was the Head Physical Therapist and Assistant Strength Coach for the New York Mets during the National League East Championship 2006, 2007, and 2008 seasons and where he coached some highly accomplished players including Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, and David Wright.
Jeff Cavaliere was the guest on London Real with Brian Rose where he discussed training methods, diet, ATHLEAN-X, and more.
Here are our takeaways from the conversation.
- Growing up in the 1980s, Jeff Cavaliere was influenced by Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Hulk Hogan, and others to build an elite physique
- He started ATHLEAN-X with a vision to help people build a better physique through science-based training
- Jeff is disappointed with the crop of so-called Fitness YouTubers and Social Media Influencers who don’t possess the knowledge to lead people in the right direction on fitness
- Jeff Cavaliere believes that you don’t have to lift heavy to get big. According to him, muscles speak the language of tension.
- Jeff recommends splitting the meal plate into 3 portions – protein, fibrous carbohydrates, and starchy carbohydrates
- 30% of the plate should be protein and fibrous carbohydrates should be twice as much as starchy carbohydrates
- Jeff Cavaliere has fixed times throughout the day for fueling his body
- Jeff insists that foundation is everything and not to build one’s body on a cracked foundation
- The real joy is in the journey and the time it takes to build a great body
- Jeff Cavaliere enjoys spending time with his twin sons and plays the piano
JEFF CAVALIERE QUOTES
- “People are not willing to take a slow journey these days. They want the instant gratification.”
- “We’ve lost an appreciation for the process and how long it actually does take”
- “Muscles are basically speaking the language of tension. They can’t read the number on the side of the plate or the dumbbell.”
- “Our bodies are going to try to cheat at any opportunity”
- “Don’t start counting your macros and your this and that. That is a recipe for disaster. Because you can’t do it that long term.”
- “Even the best plan, unable to be followed is not worth a damn.”
- “Where do you think all the injuries come from? It’s just good exercises performed poorly in a charged up environment that leads to disaster.”
- “If you’re adding strength to the cracked foundation, you’re doing more harm than good.”
- “Part of the real journey and part of the real joy of this journey is the time it takes and the effort that it takes to get to where you want to be”
- “There is a reason for me to make the videos. And, if it only was seen by a few people, I’ll be helping a few people. And, that became my mission and my drive.”
- “I think I was always trying to prove that I can do it”
- “I’ll keep striving to be better every new year that comes regardless of how many subscribers there are or regardless of how much success I have. And, I like being there. Because it keeps me on my toes.”
- “Your body gets stimulated when you train. It gets repaired and it recovers when you don’t.”
- “I just want to always be the innovator. I don’t want to be the copier. I don’t find any fulfillment in that.”
JEFF CAVALIERE ON CURRENT FITNESS TREND
- According to Jeff, the current fitness trend is more towards increasing the numbers (adding more weights) rather than focusing on functional fitness
- He is disappointed with the crop of so-called Fitness YouTubers and Social Media Influencers who don’t possess the knowledge to lead people in the right direction
- There are more ways than progressive overload to get stronger and bigger
- People are not willing to take a slow journey. They are looking for instant gratification.
JEFF CAVALIERE’S TRAINING PHILOSOPHY
- Jeff Cavaliere’s training philosophy is cross-platform where he focuses on all aspects of human motion including corrective exercises which are necessary to maintain the ability to do other exercises
- According to Jeff, only focusing on total body training is not the way to go. He likes to split muscle groups for isolation training, along with training the supporting muscles that work with the isolated muscles, for an overall strength increase.
- He prefers training people in the standing position
JEFF CAVALIERE ON DIET & NUTRITION
- Consistency is one of Jeff Cavaliere’s main mantras
- He recommends people to not start counting their macros because they cannot do it for a long time
- He insists on dividing the meal plate into 3 portions – protein, fibrous carbohydrates, and starchy carbohydrates
- 30% of the plate is protein and fibrous carbohydrates should be twice as much as starchy carbohydrates
- Fibrous carbohydrates recommended include Broccoli, Spaghetti Squash, and Asparagus. Starchy carbohydrates recommended include Sweet Potatoes and Pasta.
- There are many other fibrous and starchy carbohydrates and Jeff recommends people to spice up their food according to their own tastes to stay consistent
- Jeff Cavaliere believes that avoiding carbohydrates for the long term is not possible and recommends people to find and stick to a diet they can follow for a long time
JEFF CAVALIERE ON STEROIDS & BODYBUILDING
- Jeff Cavaliere believes that anything that is detrimental to the body in the long run, be it steroids or performance enhancers are bad
- He doesn’t approve of the 300+ pound bodybuilders with 2-3% body fat on stage for Bodybuilding shows
SYLVESTER STALLONE, EXERCISES & BECOMING A DAD
- Jeff Cavaliere published a blog on his fitness inspirations where he mentioned Sylvester Stallone. He received an email later from Stallone and got in touch with him.
- Sylvester Stallone has said that Jeff Cavaliere probably knows more about fitness than any other person on the planet
- Jeff Cavaliere recommends not performing a few exercises which he thinks are best left in the iron graveyard
- Jeff Cavaliere is the father of twin kids – Jaxson and Xavier
JEFF CAVALIERE ON FUTURE PLANS
- Jeff Cavaliere plans to make more videos for his ATHLEAN-X YouTube Channel
- Even though previously covered topics might again be covered, Jeff aims to bring in a new perspective and add something of value and interest in every new video
- Jeff Cavaliere always wants to be the innovator and not ever be a copier